Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Bubble Light Holder

I can't get my Christmas tree lights to co-operate, but I can still enjoy my bubble lights!



One of my favourite parts of Christmas when I was a kid was when my Grandma would put out her bubble lights.  They were like magic to me.

I suppose they're meant to be put on a tree, but my Grandma always lined them up in the window behind her Christmas village so that's how I like to display them now too.  But that can be challenging when they look like this....


So, I came up with a wonderful recycle project that makes life with bubble lights much easier!

Materials:
-Bubble lights
-empty Christmas wrap tube
-craft knife
-pencil and measuring tape

Steps:
1) Count out how many lights are on your string and make the same number of markings on your tube, equal distance apart.


2) Use your craft knife to cut holes at each of your markings.  The holes should be big enough for your light bases to fit snugly.


3) Now just take the lights out of the sockets and set them aside and then ease the cord into the tube, pulling up the sockets into each hole.


4) Place the lights back in the sockets.



That's it!  I just set mine up on my window sill and threw some fake greenery on top to cover the tube.  You could paint the tube to help camouflage it even more but I found that this step wasn't necessary (plus I was throwing a party in a few hours and didn't have time for paint to dry).



Turn on your lights and watch the magic happen!  Bubbles everywhere!


Do you have bubble lights?  How do you display yours?  Leave a comment below~

9 comments:

Tiffany McKay said...

What a clever idea! I love the simplicity of this! If our window was higher sitting, I would totally do this. My daughter would probably have her hands all over the project too soon haha. I started following you on Twitter!

Jill said...

I've never seen those bubble lights before - so pretty, and a great idea to display them using that tube!

Brenda said...

I've ALWAYS wanted to buy a set of these and find them fascinating...being 53 you'd think I'd just grow-up! haha
But, now I'm definitely going to get a set. I love the old-fashioned look of them and how you've set them up.
Cheers AND Merry Christmas, from Oshawa Ontario.

Shabby Marilyn said...

Love bubble lights, always looking for them. Very Clever, Merry Christmas

Shabby Marilyn said...

Love bubble lights, always looking for them. Very Clever, Merry Christmas

Gail @Purple Hues and Me said...

Great idea! I was always fascinated with bubble lights as a child, too! Ours didn't last long and I always thought they were expensive back then so my parents would just buy the old fashion kind of lights with the large bulbs. I'm really surprise that yours are still working. Somehow I thought them to be rather fragile and I didn't know they could come apart like that.

Anonymous said...

Omg THANK YOU for posting this simple, pretty and clever idea. I have looked everywhere for just the holder for my lights and have refused to give them up for two Christmases although I had nowhere or way to display them like I wanted to in the window. Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, bought a strand of them 7 lights for $30.00. They didn't fit in with the decorations on my tree so was looking for options. I loved these, we had them on our tree during my childhood, I would sit and watch them for hours. Thank you for your idea

A bloom said...

Oh thank you so much! I have been searching all over the net for something other than putting them on the tree which I am scared to do. I thought I would get a tension rod and clip them to the tension rod but the clips are not big enough for the smallest diameter of tension rod so that was a no-go.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...