Friday, January 10, 2014

Musty Buster

So, the bad news is that I started 2014 out on about as bad a foot as you can.  I've been sick in bed since New Years Eve with what is easily the worst flu I have ever had.  If you haven't gotten your flu shot yet, then I strongly encourage you to get out there and get one.  You do not want this super bug.

As you may recall, I was sick off and on for the month leading up to New Year's Eve as well.  All this means that I am waaay behind on all my plans for 2014, especially the ones that involve getting ready for an overseas trip in a few weeks.

When I pulled my trusty backpack out of storage in the basement it was smelling just a tad more musty than I would like, so excuse me while I take care of some housekeeping business in today's first project of the year.


These little packs are great for airing out shoes, coats, backpacks, etc...anything that has the distinct musty odour that things can sometimes pick up from being stored in the basement.

Here's what you need to make your own.


Materials:
-scap of cotton or muslin (must be a breathable fabric)
-thread, scissors, ruler(optional)
-ribbon (also optional)
-kitty litter (not shown)

Steps:
1) Cut your fabric into a rectangle.  Mine is approximately 9.5" X 6.5" but any size will do.


2) Fold your fabric in half, right sides together and stitch the bottom and side closed in a 1/4" seam.


3) Turn your little bag right sides out and attach a ribbon in the middle of the backside, approximately 1.5" down from the upper edge.


4) And now my medication must have kicked in because I stopped taking photos from some reason, but really it's beyond easy....just fill your bag with kitty litter, but don't go above where you stitched your on ribbon.

Then just fold over your top edge and stitch it down.

Now you can tie your musty buster onto a hanger or stuff it into your shoes and the kitty litter will start to soak up any offending smells.


I made another not so snazzy looking one to throw into my backpack in the hopes that it will do it's magic by the time I have to fill it (with light summery clothes and swimsuits!!!)


So there you go, one task down and about 20 more to go before I'm anywhere near ready to get on the airplane.

Oh! I almost forgot to tell you the good news....with such a lamo start to 2014, I figure it can only get better from here :)

Send me some good, healthy, vibes so I can get on with starting my new year, finally~

3 comments:

Jan said...

Kitty litter! What a great idea. I do hope you enjoy your trip and the rest of the year.
2013 was a very bad year for my family, we had illness, injuries, surgeries, job losses, career changes, and even a death in the family. We are all hoping 2014 will be better. So far it is. On the last day of the year, my daughter was offered a job.

Mitzi said...

Hi Tamara,

I am so sorry you've been sick! I just got my flu shot last week...and I'm so glad I did!

Cute tutorial for "musty busters"...I could use them for vintage clothing items stored in my basement!

Jill said...

Oh my goodness Tamara - so sorry to hear you're still sick! Nasty, rotten flu! Hope you get over it quickly and are looking forward to your holiday! We just had a week of a stifling heatwave here and now some welcome rain has arrived to cool us down a bit!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...