Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Pillowcase Top

There were a few more cloudy periods yesterday so I was able to take some time out of my busy reading in the hammock all day time to whip up a little pillowcase top for the final month of summer.

Did you notice...
It took 3 tries to get it right
but I changed my hair colour!
I just wanted something super easy, lightweight, and flowy, for those hot summer days when you don't feel like letting everyone see everything.  This top hit it right on the mark.

You don't really need to use a patter to make a pillowcase top.  They're super easy.  But I knew I had this cute vintage pattern just sitting in my drawer so that's what I used.


This pattern is from 1976.  I am a big sucker for McCall's patterns from this time period because I love the illustrations so much.  Unfortunately for me, size small was still a large fitting 10-12, so I had to take about 2" out of the width of both the front and the back.  But now I love the casual fit of it.  And I really love that all the edges are finished with proper facings to give it a more polished finish.

I thought about adding a cute iron-on from my Wholeport stash but in the end I opted for simplicity.

I think I was inspired by this top I pinned not too long ago, which is not a pillowcase top at all:
I'm going to be very sad when all this beautiful hot weather ends but I guess that means I'll be able to start planning a wonderful hot weather getaway soon.  Any suggestions?  I don't usually do that 1 week all-inclusive type thing.  I like to throw on my backpack and take off for a month not really knowing where the road is going to take me.

My last trip was to Thailand and I loved it.  Where have you been that you think I could go (and wear my new pillowcase top!) ?  Leave a comment below~

9 comments:

Beckey said...

Loving it! I like the thought of the pillowcase top so much, and have no idea why I've never actually made one!

Abby Lawson said...

This is SO cute! I love the simplicity of it, and it looks beautiful on you! I popped over from House of Hepworths--thanks for sharing!

~Abby =)

Gina's Craft Corner said...

You look so cute in that top!! I never thought about making a pillowcase top for myself!
Thanks!
Gina @ Gina's Craft Corner

Adorned From Above said...

This came out so cute. I love the old vintage patterns also. Thanks so much for sharing with this weeks Adorned From Above Link Party.
Have a great week.
Debi

Maria said...

This turned out so cute! I would love for you to share it at the Krafty Inspiration Thursday Link Party over at Krafty Cards etc. http://kraftycardsetc.blogspot.com/2013/08/krafty-inspiration-thursday-link-party-3.html
Have a great weekend!
Maria

Donna Wilkes said...

I think I had that pattern way back when. I do remember wearing pillowcase tops and loving them. Super cute - love the hair color.

Jill said...

Very cute top Tamara! Have fun planning your trip! Have you been to the Philippines? My hubby and I went there before we had kids and absolutely LOVED it!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Katherines Corner said...

I'm pinning this, it;s so cute! Hugs P.S. hopping over from making the scene

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

So cute! Love the pattern!!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...