Monday, August 12, 2013

Bike Basket

Talk about a quickie project....I think this one took me less than 5 minutes (if you subtract the year it took me to find the supplies)!

You've seen my bike before.  I call it my "Old Lady Bike" and I mean that with lots of love for the "old ladies" out there.


I love cruising around town on it.  I made a little Bike Bag for it last summer, but I always knew that what I really wanted was an actual basket.

So, I finally found the perfect basket at the second hand shop, weaved some ribbon through the side, and tied it on.  That's it!  So simple.  What's even better is that it works on the front or the back and it only takes a minute or two to switch it.

I love the vintagey feel of the whole bike now.  I suppose I could've dry brushed some paint onto it, mod podged it, or poured glitter all over it, but why mess around with it when I've got bike riding to do?


8 comments:

Jane said...

I love the idea of just tying a vintage basket on! I have a similar bike and it is just sitting in the garage, collecting dust and slowly losing air from the tires. I am inspired to drag it out, wipe it down and take a ride. Thank you for that inspiration!!!

Brenda said...

Beautiful! My old lady bike is a three wheeler I bought after my first total knee replacement. I bought a large basket and wired it into the already installed wired basket...I looked like the Witch on Wizard of Oz while I ride. NOW, after a partial knee replacement on the other knee, and a couple years off...I'm eager to get back to it. Great inspiration looking at your lovely 2 wheels!
Cheers from Oshawa, Ontario

Unknown said...

How fun! Once I get another bike, I want to do this!! So cute cruisin' around town with a snazzy bike basket!

Donna Wilkes said...

I wish I had a cruiser like that. I had a bike but got rid of it in a sudden mood to downsize stuff in the shed. I knew right after I would miss it. Love the basket.

Unknown said...

Great idea! I have an electra 3 speed bike kind of like this but with bigger handle bars. I chose to get the rack on the back but I am thinking I could fashion up one of my Longaberger baskets to the back on top of the rack. I ride it to the store a lot since it is only about 1 mile. Right now I use an insulated cooler on the back and secure it down.

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Very cute!

Kayla @ Home Coming said...

It's so cute! I'd love for you to link up to The DIYers: http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-our-country-weekend.html

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great idea. I wanted a basket for my bike, but the shape of the handles, plus all the cables for gears a shop one just would not work.
pinched the cane basket from the bathroom and some ribbon....instant bike basket. So happy :)

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...