Friday, June 15, 2012

Easy Summer Halter

My local thrift shop had a load of great scarves lately, so forgive me for doing two fun scarf projects in a row, but I couldn't resist.

scarf repurpose, scarf refashion, how to make a top from a scarf, scarf to top, scarf halter top, make a summer top
Here's what you need:

-Large scarf (mine is 26" (66cm) square, but you can go bigger if you want)
-scissors
-matching thread
-pins
-1 metre (39") of ribbon, lace, or trim for straps (not shown)
-sewing machine

Steps:
1) Fold your scarf diagonally, right sides together.  Sew a seam on each of the open sides.  Along the top leave an opening of 15" from the right corner and along the side, leave an opening of 7".  I stitched inside of the borders because I didn't want a big white line down my front.  Listen to your fabric and decide how wide or narrow to make your hems, anything goes~


Keep in mind that I'm on the petite side and fairly small busted (or as Blanche Devereaux would say...I have perky bosoms!  I'm in the middle of Season 5 of the Golden Girls right now).  If you're larger on top, adjust these measurements to suit your body.  You may want to leave larger openings at each end.  Experiment by basting your stitches first to see what fits you best.

2) Now the scary part....cut your scarf down the diagonal.  OK, not all that scary, especially if you paid next to nothing for your scarf.

3) Open out your scarf and press the seams.  You'll end up with some little bits sticking out the ends of your seams.

4) Just trim them back to match the edge of your scarf.


5) Hem the raw edges that you cut.  I just did a rolled edge but if you're not comfortable with that or don't have a machine that can do rolled edges just zigzag or serge, turn, press, and stitch down a narrow hem.


I'm not going to go into how to do a rolled hem, because every machine is different.  Just take a look at your manual or google it.  It's super easy and so much nicer than a raw edge.  Unfinished edges drive me insane so I couldn't just leave it, but you can if you're into that sort of thing.

5) The last thing to do is to add your straps.  You can use ribbon or lace or anything at all.  Just cut your 1 metre of whatever you're using in half and attach each end to the corners at the front of your halter.


And Voila!  There you have it!  A new, and super cute halter for summer!

scarf repurpose, scarf refashion, how to make a top from a scarf, scarf to top, scarf halter top, make a summer top

You can even try a super duper big scarf and make it a dress instead of a top.

I have to admit, I wasn't so sure this was going to work but I'm super happy with how it turned out.  I think this just might be my 'go to' top for the summer this year!

I hope you give it a try!  Have you checked out my linky party page lately?  I've added new parties, and that's where I'll be hanging out all week.  Come on and join me!

This project was featured here:

        It's a Blog Party

Photobucket             The ArtsyGirl Connection

Happy sewing everyone!  And don't forget, you have until Wednesday, June 20th to enter the Martha Stewart Stitched Paper Pad~

36 comments:

Little City Farm said...

Oh wow, Tamara, that is so pretty. I love how the typical scarf pattern makes the halter look so rich.

ana@carpe_diem said...

nice! it looks great on you! :)

Chris said...

That is so pretty and looks so easy! I need to try a scarf top this year!

Unknown said...

Oh my, it looks great! I bet it'd make a pretty awesome coveup <3
Thank you again for inviting me here, I'm following via RSS! :)

Anonymous said...

That is so pretty:)
I'm anne d. and also sent you an email w/ my mailing address to claim the prize from the giveaway. my mail may be in your spam box...let me know if you can't find it:)

Jill said...

Love this top Tamara! So simple to make and it looks fabulous!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Recaptured Charm said...

That is REALLY cute !!

Noemi said...

Oh, I think I've found something to make!Thank you! :)

Sylvie Créative - Créations Ma Déco Maison said...

Really cute!

Shiloh said...

Very cute top! I love the cool drapiness of it.

Unknown said...

Super cute. The colors and design are fabulous. Clever, clever. I'd love for you to link it up to our link party!

http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/06/what-i-wore-sunday-week-20.html

~Natalie

Lisa said...

How cute! You definitely have the body to pull this off too!

Betsy @ Romance on a Dime said...

That is so cute!! Nice job!! I would love it if you linked this up to the Take it on Tuesday blog hop at Romanceonadime.com!

Adorned From Above said...

this is so cute. I would love to have you link up with my blog hop on Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop

www.adornedfromabove.com

Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this top! I will have to keep an eye out for a wonderful scarf! Thanks for linking up to Sunday Round Up :)
xoxo
Heather

Amy said...

This is really wonderful! I love the colours and the pattern. You look fabulous!!

cheapcraftymama said...

How cool is that!?! Super cute! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at Pin It and Win It Wednesday @ www.cheapcraftymama.com!

Abby said...

Super cute! I love how it looks, great job!

Peggy @The Decorating Files said...

Hi! I found you via Free Pretty Things link party. Love how quick and easy this is! And it's so cute! I have to make one of these.

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

How cute! Thanks for the great idea! -Marci

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

This is gorgeous! Super-glam! And you look great in it :)

annies home said...

love this and the material you used so super cute come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Kayla's Creations said...

This is so cute, I love it! :) You were featured at Sunday Round Up! http://www.kaylascreationsblog.com/2012/06/sunday-round-up-15.html Have a great week :)
-Kayla

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

You always make it look so simple, Tamara...I wish you were in Chicago and could teach me!

I'm in Blanche's perky club too...lol..

Featuring you at the site tonight and at pinterest.

Have a lovely week,
N

Anonymous said...

This is awesome and sooo cute! great job

Anonymous said...

this is so cute, and looks so good on a small chested woman. Just wondering what to do for us larger bosom gals out there? any ideas? (mine are all me and not so perky any longer, so I cannot go braless)

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous! I think even non-sewer me could do this C:

Thanks so very much for sharing last week at our Pin'inspiration Party, you are a feature this week!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog today! Come stop by and grab a featured button :) Your Whims Wednesday is up and going strong! Come link up to the party! http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2012/06/your-whims-wednesday-65-and-features.html

April said...

Very pretty! Will definitely need to try this one!

Etcetorize said...

Hmmmm, anonymous asked about how to adjust this for you lucky ladies with more womanly figures than me.
I think first of all, the openings you leave at the ends should be longer, at least to start with. Secondly, you could try making your straps with coordinating fabric and make them wide enough to wear over a bra. To cover your back bra strap you may need to add something across the back. You could do a tringular flap that hands down into the 'V' (just sew it in or attach it with small snaps) or just a wide band.
Good luck! Let me know if any of these suggestions work for you~

Helen said...

Hi there! i'm an aspiring sewing and thought that this would be a fun project to start off with..I'm sure its just me but I had a few issues. It fit kind of odd, like the sides were kind of all sticking out. And when i cut down the center i didn't have to cut off any excess material after, so i don't know if that means i did it wrong or not. I used a bandana that was kind of smaller in size and looks stiffer in texture than the scarf that you used seems. Di you think this could have been the cause of any problem? (PS i'm petite too so i just followed the exact pattern you gave)

Etcetorize said...

Hi Helen, Without seeing your project I can only guess that it probably has something to do with the size of your scarf and the material that it's made out of. As with all sewing, even commercial patterns, people usually have to make adjustments to personalize a piece, obviously no two bodies are going to fit the same thing the same way.

Don't give up. Keep on sewing, and try another halter top with a silky scarf (you can always find cheapy ones to experiment with at thrift stores). And most of all, just have fun~

Anonymous said...

I just made this following your directions and it was SO EASY! I absolutely stink at sewing, and I can't believe how perfectly it turned out. Thank you so much for posting a tutorial that put a fresh spin on the scarf top.

Teresa said...

Just saw this cute, easy project! Question, as I am new to sewing, how much of an adjustment would you suggest for a 42" bust? Plus, I'd like to wear a strapless bra, so how can I raise it up in the back a bit? Thanks in advance.

Etcetorize said...

Theresa...My size is around 36" so I'm not lucky enough to be as curvy as you. As a new sewer I would usually suggest that you stick with a commercial pattern that has actual sizes. This is a fairly easy top though. Just cut it as indicated in the tutorial and pin the seams together and try on before you sew it all in place or you can baste it together first. Either way, I can only guess that that it's only the length of your seam that will be different than mine, probably shorter. Good luck~

Laura - Le pecionate said...

Hi Tamara, thanks for your tutorial! I've blogged about scarf recycling into blouses and dresses and and I linked over to this post. Thanks :) http://www.lepecionate.com/2015/06/la-blusa-foulard-diy-tutorial-ispirazione.html

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...