Friday, April 20, 2012

Kitchen Caddy

This is what I currently keep all of my larger cooking utensils in, on my kitchen counter.

It's pretty ugly, but still passable...until you get really close and notice that it used to sit on top of my oven, in between all the burners, and got a little too hot at least once.


I did some deep down dirty spring cleaning last weekend and when I was all done I just hated putting that ugly thing back on my counter.  So I'm making a new one!

Here's what you need:

If you don't have a pasta machine for rolling out clay just substitute a rolling pin (that you will never use with food again).

Steps:
1) Take some polymer clay out of the package and start conditioning it by breaking it up and rolling it around between your hands.  Get it nice and soft and shimmy it around between your palms to make a large pebble shape.

2) Run your clay pebble through the pasta machine, starting at the highest setting and gradually going down until you get the thickness you like. 


My machine starts at 9 as the thickest and I went down to 7.


3) Using a small petal shaped cutter, cut out your shapes.  You can find cutters in the polymer clay section at the craft store, but check things out the baking section too because there's always loads more fun shapes there.


4) Just start sticking your clay petals onto your glass vase but gently pushing them down.  You can furl the edges up slightly to add some more texture.


5) One of the great things about polymer clay is that there is absolutely no waste.  Just take the clay that was left over from cutting your shapes out and repeat steps 1-4 until you have the design you want.
If this were paper it would be garbage.

But like magic, we have a whole new piece to cut from!
6) For the centres of the flowers I used this little flower shape to cover up all the uneven edges.


7) I was originally going to cover the whole vase, but I ended up loving the design when I got it this far so I just left it. 


Hmmmm, oorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr not.  I actually baked this, filled it up, and let it sit on my counter for a few days but it drove me crazy.  Everytime I walked past it I thought "That doesn't look finished!"  So, I added more flowers and baked it again.


8) Following the directions on your clay, bake it.  I always like to double bake my clay projects but that's just a personal thing.  All that means is that I bake it once, let everything cool down, and then bake it exactly the same way again.  I feel like this makes the clay just a tiny bit stronger.

Obviously, do not use a plastic vase or anything else flammable. Even though the clay bakes at a very low temperature you can never take any risks.

9) If you want, after everything has cooled down, you can brush on a layer of Mod Podge or other sealant to ensure you clay stays in place, gives it an extra sheen, and will be easy to wipe down to keep it clean.

Tah Dah!  So much better don't you think???


Anthro knockoff, Anthropologie kitchen knock-off, DIY vase, polymer clay vase, easy polymer clay, How to make your own clay vase

Here's my inspiration, that I totally forgot I had pinned.  I thought I had come up with this brilliant idea on my own, but it looks like Anthropologie implanted it into my subconscious via pinterest when I wasn't looking~
Yours for only $78
(mine cost about $2.00)

What do you keep your kitchen utensils in?  Is it full of things you never use?  Leave a comment and share your ideas~

This project was featured here:

 


20 comments:

Amy said...

That is darling! I love it even more than the original idea you pinned!! I use an old wine bottle holder thingie. Its silver, but all the other silver accents in my kitchen are brushed and its shiny. I keep meaning to brush it with a brillo pad or something but never get around to it. :)

Little City Farm said...

That is so cute. I had to laugh at the melted version in the before,...that is totally something I would do, lol.

Gen said...

Neat idea! I love the texture here and you can never add too many flowers right? Like butterflies ; )

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

how fabulous is this!!! what a great job you did! applause and appaws! so sorry i have been out of touch again -- i promise to be around more! : ) sending tons of hugs to you and yours and keep rocking those projects!!!!!

Unknown said...

Great project - I love your new container.
~Amy @ Permanent Kisses

Unknown said...

At some point I'll have to make something with clay! Love the look of the 3d flowers!!
I keep my utensils into two ceramic pitchers that my grandma painted when she was very young. They are bitten up, but love them!

Michele said...

I think it turned out really well, a very imaginative solution.

momto8 said...

You have definitely inspired me!!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
I am making a new container tomorrow!!!

Kristina Clemens said...

That's just awesome! Love how it transforms your glass container! Way cool. =)

Kristina J.

Jill said...

Beautiful Tamara!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

I love this!!! I've never really had a chance to do any projects with clay before, but this seems like an awesome first project. It turned out awesome, although I kinda liked the first version before you filled it up, but they both looked great.

Jenny said...

I love how this turned out...I am your newest follower from the Networking Blog Hop! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see follow back :)
Modern Modest Beauty

Amber said...

Cute. I even liked it half done b4 you covered the entire front. Great idea!
amber

Rose Jesky said...

Supper cute, Thanks for sharing this great idea with us at The Sunday Round Up.
Rose
@ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Very pretty design.

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

O my goodness this is adorable!!! So elegant! My sub conscience peeks online too...

Shiloh said...

What a very cool idea! That looks like it would be a fun project to do with kids as well.

Unknown said...

Totally Perfect!!! I'd love to have you share at my party...it JUST opened!!!

http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2012/04/overflowing-with-creativity-19.html

XO, Aimee

musa said...

Thanks a lot, it's a real good idea, very nice !

Anonymous said...

This is amazing, so CREATIVE! Love your blog, I AM ALWAYS SO inspired by people who can create and do or come up with some genious ides how to do things! Great, I AM going to follow you ;o)

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...