Friday, February 3, 2012

Travel Journal

By the time you read this I should be somewhere between Hong Kong and Bangkok.  But did you really think I'd leave you hanging with no projects while I'm away...no way!

Whenever I go on vacation it's usually for a fairly lengthy time, usually far too long for me to be able to keep track of everything that happens inside my little head.  So, I always take a travel journal with me, a new one for each trip.

Instead of purchasing something though, I decided to embellish something I already had laying around.  It seems the latest and greatest "gift" to give employees at my workplace are small recycled plain notebooks.  I suppose the idea is that we're supposed to use them for work, seeing as the logo is plastered right on the front, but you know, I like to be a little different~

Here's what you'll need to make your own journal:

I also used my Silhouette SD, add a pair of scissors
or punches if you don't have an electronic cutter

Steps:
1) At first I was going to cut out some flowers to put on the front of my book but I just couldn't find anything that caught my eye in my Silhouette library.  Then I remembered...I'm a butterfly girl!  So, I cut out some cute little butterflies in several bright papers.


2) I used Mod Podge to adhere them to the front of my book.  I decided not to do another layer of Mod Podge on top just to go along with the whole recycled earthy look the cover already has.

I forgot to take a shot with them all glued down
but you'll see that in a bit~

3) OK, big deal right?  So I glued some paper down over the company logo so I can really enjoy my vacation.  Does that really warrant an entire tutorial?  No...but here's where we add a little something to make things special!
I "designed" this little shape above to make some tabs so I could section off my book.  It's really just a series of rounded corner rectangles welded together, so if you don't have an electronic cutter you could probably just do something similar on your own with a ruler~

4) Just cut a bunch of tab shapes in the same pretty papers, score the centre lines and get ready to glue.



5) Press your first side down on the front of the page:


6) Turn the page over and press down the other side. So super easy!


7) Section off your book and add your tabs throughout.  In my travel journals I like to have these sections:
-journal
-blog notes
-photo log
-purchases
-miscellaneous

Tah dah!
DIY Travel Journal, DIY Journal, Embellish a book, How to add tabs to a book
So pretty right?

But wait...there's more!  While I had my Mod Podge out I figured I better cover the logo on my pen too.


So, there it is all together and ready to go.  I can't wait to use it!

If you want to keep up with my travels just click here.

14 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love this idea! I'm a traveler too and I also keep a travel journal, but I usually just include it in my regular journal. I have 2 big trips coming up in the next couple of months and I am definitely going to steal your tab idea! Thanks for the inspiration!

Tanya T Ly (Little Mandarinka) said...

This is a great idea! I have to add it to my (very long) to-do list :P Thanks for sharing it! Oh, and have a fun trip!

Susanne said...

What a good idea. I aleays think that I'll remember everything when I get home, but as I'm putting togheter my scrapbook I realise that a lot of things have sliped my mind, so I might steal your ide the next time i go flying.
Wish you a great weekend!

Gen said...

you are so organized! Nice job. Record everything and bring back lots of good stories to share!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I love your file dividers :) I just blogged about my travel journal on Monday too!

Enjoy your trip - I'm off to go stalk your travel blog!

Jill said...

Such a cute little notebook and pen Tamara! great job! - happy travelling!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Sweet & simple - love it!

The Quilt Ladies said...

Love it and what a great idea !

Laura said...

GREAT idea!!!

Andi said...

I just love the tabs! Those are brilliant! There are so many times that I wish notebooks and things came with tabs. I am totally pinning this so I can make them!

Little City Farm said...

Oooh, I love those tabs too. I can't wait to give this a try. I love the idea that you have an individual book for each trip - that's brilliant.

Jelli said...

This is great! I am making something similar for my husband for his birthday so he can catalogue our travels soon. Thanks for sharing.

OnePerfectDay said...

It's great!
I love the butterflies!

CreativeKhadija said...

Hi Tammy,
This is so beautiful. I am featuring this on my blog. Have a look here :
http://creativekhadija.com/2016/08/back-to-school-creative-organizing-ideas/
Thank You.
Khadija
www.creativekhadija.com

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...