Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Show and Tell: Wrap Dress

No, this post really has nothing to do with Christmas....wellll, unless I wear this wrap dress while wrapping my Christmas gifts.  But, no, just a simple show and tell~

Have any of you sewers ever come across this vintage Diane Von Furstenburg wrap dress sewing pattern?
Vogue 1679.jpg
source
I've never actually held one in my hands, but I have seen it sell online for more than $100!  That's just the pattern folks.

I'd like to know what's so special about it other than the fact that it has the DVF name on it.  Yes, I know she was the "inventor" of the wrap dress, but take a look at this:

I made this dress:

Wrap Dress, Simplicity 7705, Diane Von Furstenburg knockoff, designer knockoff
You can't tell but I'm smizing!
(You have to be an America's Next Top Model watcher to get it~)
  with this pattern:
Simplicity 7705 (Jiffy)
People even pay big bucks for this knock off pattern (I got mine for 99 cents!).  Same collar, same cuffs, maybe a skinnier belt and slightly more flared skirt but that's about it.

I think it could probably pass.  Not as a real DVF of course, but maybe of a DVF pattern???

What's the most you've ever paid for a pattern?  Was it worth it?  Leave a comment~


20 comments:

Jan said...

Oh girl you look fierce! I too love ANTM! The dress looks like the original.

I look in all the thrift stores for the DVF version, just to frame it. But so far, no luck.

I think I have paid over $30.00 for a Vogue before I found out about Club BMV. The independent pattern designers are pricey too.

Catherine @ Cat on a Limb said...

Gorgeous! (You and the dress!)

Wow, I didn't even know DVF had ever made sewing patterns. I love her dresses though, it just goes to show what great classic style she has that they're just as fashionable now as they were in the 70's. But it definitely is an easy knockoff, so I wouldn't splurge on the pattern.

The most I've spent is probably about $10 or $15. Sadly I think it was for a brand from a big box store that just didn't happen to be on sale that day. But that was a long time ago, and I wouldn't do it again. I always end up having to alter the patterns so much that it's almost not worth buying them in the first place -- easier to start from scratch!

But I love your dress, you did a fabulous job!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Really?!! This is super super cute! Great job whipping up this hot number!

Wag Doll said...

Oh your dress looks gorgeous. I personally wouldn't pay that much for a pattern when you can get pretty much the same design for so much less.

WobiSobi said...

WOW Love this Dress!!
You always look amazing!

Simple Simon and Company said...

Holy awesomeness...ok that doesn't make sense...but it's what I thought when I saw the vintage pattern and dress!

Amazing job!

Unknown said...

Love it, love it, love it! :)

Unknown said...

Wow great dress!! I love the color and everything. I LOVE wrap dresses.

I am like you I would never pay that much for a pattern. I think the most I have ever paid is $10.

marysews said...

Yep, one hundred bucks is way too much for a pattern, but there are good alternatives to that one. I'm glad you found one. Your dress turned out great!

Little City Farm said...

Looks fabulous. I am so impressed with your sewing skills. Love that gorgeous burgundy colour on you!!

Pearl Maple said...

well done !
it is a great timeless style

Simply Tasheena said...

Classic! Thanks for sharing!

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

LOVE this dress -- but alas...i do not sew : ) lol!!!! i will live through others creations! : ) hugs...

Unknown said...

Love, love, love this dress! I have a vintage DVF dress that is my absolute prized possession and I only wear it when I seriously need luck on my side.

Thank-you so much for joining up to our Pin'Inspiration Thursday Party. You have helped to make it a real success!

Happy follower, would love if you popped by and grabbed a button :-)

Mindie Hilton said...

I love your dress, very pretty. I would love for you to share your talents at Bacon Time, linky is Friday-monday.
http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

the cape on the corner said...

wow, great dress!

abeachcottage said...

Wow! That dress is really lovely and you look great in it!

Shiloh said...

You made a beautiful dress! I have spent 10 or 15 on a pattern before, but I only pay that much when I know exactly what I want, and where I'm going to wear it.:)

Paula@SweetPea said...

Your dress is fabulous and you look smashing in it!

I need to ask my mom if she has any 70's patterns stashed away. It would be fun to make a retro dress.

I'm visiting from Serenity Now.

G Inspires said...

You did a great job! Visiting via Creative Bloggers Party & Hop

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...