Friday, December 30, 2011

Get Organized

I think one of the most popular New Years Resolutions after exercising and losing weight is getting organized.  Today I'm going to share a fun way to give you a head start on your clutter in 2012.

Here's what you need:


I had some fabric left over from my sharp corners project I shared with you ages ago and decided to use it to make a cute little tray/caddy for some of my hair clips that usually just get thrown in a drawer.

Steps:
1) Cut two rectangles or squares from your fabric and another one the same size in fusible interfacing.

2) Iron your interfacing onto the back of one of the fabric squares then pin your fabric pieces, right sides together.


3) Sew a narrow seam around all four sides, making sure to leave a small opening on one side so that you can turn it right sides out.
4) Before you turn it out though, make sure to cut diagonally across all of your corners.  This gets rid of some of the bulk and helps you to get nice sharp edges.


I usually cut a little diagonal into each edge as well when working with heavier fabrics like this one.

5) Turn your fabric right side out, push corners out and press.  Next, hand stitch the opening closed.


6) One by one, fold each corner diagonally so that you get a sort of triangle.  Measure in about and inch and pin, making sure that your pin is at a right angle to the open edge.


7) The line created by your pin is where you'll stitch.  Do the same thing on all four corners.


It should look like this, an instant tray!

DIY Caddy, DIY tray, fabric tray, fabric organizer, easy organizer, easy sewing


As I was making this I kept thinking that it would work so much better with a nice crisp fabric, like cotton maybe.  Then I wondered how it would work with paper!
Tah dah!

DIY caddy, DIY tray, paper tray, easy papercraft, DIY storage, Organizing Tools

I did the exact same thing without the interfacing of course and just glued down the sides.  I love it!  Now I can find my stamping pads all in one place~

There you go!  Get a head start on your clutter and make a few matching little bins for your shelves and drawers.  It's fun to get organized when your containers are so cute~

Happy New Year everyone!  I'm working on a special New Year craft for next Friday.  I can't wait to show it to you.  Make sure to come back and check it out~

13 comments:

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

these are FABULOUS my friend! i LOVE them!!!!! i am going to have to make some! : ) thanks for sharing! sending happy new year hugs to you and yours!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

So cute & so very versatile. I can see many uses for these depending on the material you use -- fabric or paper. Thanks for sharing.
CAS

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Super cute - you can use these in SO many ways. Thanks for sharing!

Little City Farm said...

Very sweet.

Anonymous said...

Good use of extra fabric and I've got lots of that in my sewing room...organization is great fun...keep it up...Mel's Designs 'n Harmony

HeathersSphere said...

Cool and clever!!!

Jill said...

What cute little trays Tamara! I love their simplicity and versatility!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

these are great!!!!
Natasha xx

Check out my link party!
www.serenityyou.blogspot.com/search/label/Serenity%20Saturday

Janel from NellieBellie said...

what a great idea! And cute too!

Gen said...

LOVE THAT! One of my New Year's Resolution is to start using the gazillion papers I have and stop buying more. These little boxes could be useful for so many little things! Thanks

Little City Farm said...

This is such a great idea and I believe you're right that getting organized is right up there on the list of new year's resolutions for people. Thanks so much for linking up to our party!

Jen the CraftinCowgirl said...

What a cute and clever project!

Unknown said...

So great, I have way too many drawers that need this attention.

Thanks so much for sharing at Pin'Inspiration Thursday last week. Hope to see you back again this week :-)

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...