Friday, November 4, 2011

Hallway Make-over

I love redoing really small spaces that are little more than thoroughfares.  I think it gives them purpose and maybe even slows people down a bit to appreciate all of the parts of a house, not just the rooms themselves.

I'm still working on my hallway but I  really wanted to show you what I've done so far.

This is the front hallway that you enter into from the front porch.  I felt like it was pretty lacklustre.


 

I took out the two little stools, which really only my cats use to drive me crazy by scratching them and added a few new pieces of furniture.

I got this old shelving unit from the thrift store for about $15.  It was pretty ugly.


I was so excited to paint it I almost forgot to take a before shot.  In the pic below you can get a better view of the 'lovely' wood grain veneer.


So, I primed and then painted it the same colour as the wall behind it and added some gel stain to give it some character.

I just painted it on with a scrubby brush and wiped it off with paper towel to get the effect I wanted.


Then I just loaded it up with books and knick knacks.


I'm actually pretty surprised at how well it turned out.  It fits perfectly and it's a great place for me to put all of the crafty things I make.


I also gave this thrift store coat rack a few coats of peachy paint and stuck it in the corner to hold my many, many coats.

                 
  

And here's the thing that I think really makes it warm and cozy.  My mother thinks I'm a little weird for putting drapes somewhere other than on a window but I love the look of fabric around doorways.  (Remember Karen Blixen's house in Out of Africa?  She had curtains on every door, probably for more practical reasons, but I still love the look.)

Remember when I hung new drapes in living room and I gave the advice to never try to hang drapes on your own?  Well, here's another piece of advice...you should always follow your own advice!  I'm so glad these ended up looking so nice because it took me forever to hang the rod...by myself~

Another awesome thrift store find!
So that's my new hallway.  It's a work in progress but it's getting better with each piece I add.

Leave a comment and let me know what you think.  Just ignore the lighting though, it's a little off in this small space.

Have a crafty week everyone!

22 comments:

April said...

your house is beautiful...great job!!

Sunny Simple Life said...

This looks great. I love DIY projects and yours came out lovely. Love those drapes on the doorway.

Zerique said...

our entry looks great!!! i am in the 'fix my hallway mood" also - so its funny that i found your post! now i am even more motivated! only thing is mine has this dreadful wall paper that I need to take down - thats whats holding me back :(

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

It looks wonderful in your hallway~ I host a linky party at my blog on the weekends if you would like to come share sometime!

Alison Agnew said...

your makeover looks lovely
with all the new accessories in place

thanks for sharing at fridays unfolded!

Melodee said...

looks beautiful! love the colors:)

Unknown said...

I love those curtains! Hanging curtain rods by yourself can be tricky, but if you do it enough you get a method down ;) looks nice.

Ameryn Marie
www.ohsonifty.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love your entryway! It looks great. We have very similar entry ways. I am now a follower from http://www.compulsiveintexas.blogspot.com

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

I think the drapes look lovely! You did such a great job on the entry table too. By the way, your house is gorgeous! If you have a moment I'd love for you to share this transformation with my readers. http://www.momontimeout.com/2011/11/taking-timeout-thursday-link-party-no-3.html

Unknown said...

It turned out so good!I found your blog from the Crafty Envy Party, I'm your newest follower!
Sally
Loveofhomes.blogspot.com

mama mia said...

Okay, the drapes around the doorway look good. Sometimes new ideas take a little getting used to. Bet the cats will have fun playing hide and seek.
mom

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Everything looks lovely, Tamara. I especially love the tone of the book case at the base of the stairs. I am from Brandon, MB. I have joined your followers list, Pinterest and invite you to join my followers list; as well,I hope you will grab a blog button. Hugs, Gayle
http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

Mimi said...

Wonderful job!

Sarah Yoder said...

That fabric is fab! Love the look.

hi visibility clothing said...

Great use of that cloth stand and I found that you attached a beautiful and colorful glasses collection on door, Same thing I done in my kitchen door. Best for reflection.

Amber *SaltTree Creative* said...

great job! the hallway looks fab and i also love the fabric! your home looks lovely!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

Beautiful. You did a wonderful job. I'm hosting a GIVEAWAY on DIY Home Sweet Home. Would love you to check it out.
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/2011/11/giveaway-shabby-apple-dress.html

concretenprimroses said...

Great transformation!
Kathy

Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} said...

What a beautiful hallway! Great Job :)

jess@balancing the dream said...

what a transformation!! great job!! Your home is beautiful!!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

It is lovely, the green is so refreshing and beautiful!

Chrissy said...

I love the curtains, it feels so warm. Great job!!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...