Friday, July 15, 2011

The 10 Minute Top

Whew, I've been so busy getting my new Etsy shop going that I've barely had time this week to do anything else.  But, seeing as how all the forecasts are calling for nothing but hot, hot, hot, sunshine all weekend long I thought I better throw together something to get me outside to enjoy the weather.

Soooooo, today I give you.....the 10 Minute Top!  Actually, if you don't hem it, it's probably more like a 3 minute top but we'll just see how this goes:

Supplies:
1 T-Shirt (something close fitting will work best)
scissors
thread and a sewing machine if you want clean edges


Steps:

Here's what I started with.


No, I don't usually pick up teal blue close fitting long sleeve turtle neck t-shirts, but I saw this on a sale rack for a whopping $2.  And when I see stuff like that I look at it purely as fabric and try to figure out how I can cut it up and make it look better than a $2 sale shirt.

Here's how I did it (hopefully you agree)
Steps:

1) Cut across the back from underarm to underarm.  Be careful to make sure that you're only cutting through one layer.


2) In the front cut along a shape like the outline below.  I measured in approximately 3.5"from each underarm seam and then cut a triangle up to the middle of the neckline. 


3) You should end up with something that looks like this.


Next, cut right down the centre of your triangle.


4) Now you can actually call it a day right there if you want and leave the edges unfinished but I couldn't do it.  The edges drove me crazy so I turned the top hem over 5/8" and sewed it down just to keep my sanity.

DIY, Easy Sewing, Halter, Summer Top, Bandeau

And here is where the fun begins.  You can leave it like this.  Just put it on and tie the two triangle sides together and you have a cute little halter.  Oooorrrrrrrr......

You can cut a strip of fabric and make a long narrow tube from the left over arm pieces and add a little support:


DIY, Easy Sewing, Halter, Summer Top, Bandeau, Hemp Trim

Or you can have fun and add some pretty ribbon or interesting trim instead.  Here I used some Hemp trim to give it a real beachy feel:

DIY, Easy Sewing, Halter, Summer Top, Bandeau, Hemp Trim


This tie isn't permanent, you're just tying the triangle pieces around it.  So, you can change it out whenever you want.  I tried some beautiful beaded trim I picked up in India for a nighttime look:

DIY, Easy Sewing, Halter, Summer Top, Bandeau, beaded trim

DIY, Easy Sewing, Halter, Summer Top, Bandeau, beaded trim

This could be a great top to take on vacation with you.  Wear it on the beach with some shorts or over your bathing suit and then just switch the tie and put on a skirt for evening and away you go!

If your top isn't really close fitting you can still do this, you just might have to take in the sides or make some darts in the back.  That's still easy peasy and might only add an extra 5 minutes tops.

Don't forget to enter my draw for a FREE vintage sewing pattern .  Get your entry in before midnight Saturday, July 16th.  (psssst: That's only two days away and hardly anyone has entered...so your odds are very good.)

Check out the linky parties at the tab above.  There are so many amazing projects that get posted.  You're sure to get inspired by visiting even just one.

Have a great week everyone, enjoy the sunshine!!!

22 comments:

SouthernScraps said...

This is awesome and so creative. I'm not confident enough to wear halters alone, but I think that it would be cute under a cardigan with that little tie in the front.

Teri said...

This is brilliant, lady! I love it!

Elle @ Ellementary Home said...

This is such a great idea. It makes me wish I wasn't nursing so I could wear something cute like this. One day.... :)

Unknown said...

This is so cute!! You have been busy!

Abby said...

So cute! I love it!

BluBabesCreate said...

So not the 80's turtleneck it used to be.

Style, Decor & More said...

You are too talented. I love it! Hate turtlenecks and wouldn't be caught dead in one!

I'm a new follower from the blog hop!
Hope you'll hop by and visit my blog too!
Have a great Sunday!
nancy
http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

WobiSobi said...

This is so GREAT!!! I am so going to do this!! thank you for sharing!!

Ruth H. said...

Wow! It's really hard to believe that pretty top used to be a turtleneck. How creative you are.

Brit said...

This is so cool. Will be trying it with all my old shirts! Love it. Thanks so much for sharing :) We would love to have you share it with our readers at our Strut Your Stuff link up party on Sunday. Hope to see you there!
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Zerique said...

This is genius!!!!! I am your newest follower and would love for you to check out my blog and possibly follow back!!!! I am also hosting a crafty link up on Wednesday. Join In!!!!
onesweetstory.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Super cute! I love how simple this is to make! Adding it to my 'to make' list!

JoAnna said...

THis is great but is that really all that's holding it up? Just tying the front keeps it in place? It seems like the back would flop around...

Etcetorize said...

Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone!

To answer Sparkling's question... this top isn't for all body types. I'm very small on top so I don't have any problems keeping it up, however, it you feel you need more support make the extra tie and if you need a closer fit take it in on the sides or back or wherever you need to. Make it yours~

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

What a great idea!! I hope you will link up to the Tuesday Confessional link party going on now. I'm co-hosting with A Reason to Skip the Housework, so your post will be seen on BOTH blogs!
http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-and-tuesday-time.html
I hope to see you soon!
~Macy

Carissa B said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing the instructions for how to do this. I'm pinning it to come back to later. I love the one with the drawstring cord.

I found you through Made By You Mondays and am your newest follower. Come check me out and follow back, too, if you're interested @ Carissa's Creativity Space

Christine said...

This is a great idea! I also look at a lot of garments as simply fabric to make into something else...

Mimi said...

Oh - wow! When I first saw that shirt I would have never dreamed it came from a turtleneck! Great job!
Thanks for sharing!

HoneySage said...

This is great! I have a turtleneck that was hiding in the bottom of a drawer that is going to change in about 5 minutes! Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

I love your top makeover! I have an old turtle neck, and think I might have to give this a try! I'd love if you would join us over at Sew Woodsy and link up this project!

'*I'm your newest follower

Natasha said...

Wow really is 10 minutes! I Love how adding a different tie really does give it completely different looks! A perfect vacation top

Unknown said...

Oo! Oo! You could add some elastic to the top to help keep it up!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...