Friday, May 20, 2011

Dance of the Broken Dressers

Isn't it amazing how adaptable human beings are?  We can learn to put up with just about anything.

For instance, take a look at my dresser.

It fell apart just before Christmas, while I was rearranging things in my bedroom.  That board that nails onto the back of the dresser is apparently a very important piece.

When mine fell off while I was lugging the dresser across the room, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal.  However, when I went to put the drawers back in place they were all in a zig zag line.  And then some kept falling off the tracks because the space was suddenly too wide.  Who knew???


Anyway, a few months after that my mom gave me a hand me down from my sister.  I put it in the porch, waiting for the weather to warm up so I could paint it.  However, while transporting it to my house one of the drawers fell to the ground and snapped the side.  The backs were already missing, but I thought I could easily fix that.  I didn't look very closely and thought, no problem, I'll just glue the side back together while I'm at it.  After buying everything I realized that the break was a little more serious than I thought and beyond my expertise (and energy).






















So, that's two dressers down and my clothes still spread all around my room...5 months later.

Then I ran into this beauty at the local Salvation Army Thrift Store.


I thought that middle column of little drawers was so cute.  The perfect place for sweet nothings.


So, I sanded it, primed it, and coated it with a blinding shade of white.


Then I went out to purchase drawer pulls to replace these ugly ones.


Ummmm, yeah, I needed 11 drawer pulls!!!!  I forgot to add that into my costs when I bought it.  I searched high and low for something affordable that didn't look uglier than the ones that came with it.

And then a chance visit to the local Habitat for Humanity Restore changed my life.  OK, well, maybe that's a little dramatic, but I seriously think the clouds parted, the light shone down, and the angels were singing.  I found these adorable pulls hidden away in a corner of the store in the back room.  (Yes, there's a back room that I had never noticed before.  I'm going back today to see what else is back there that I missed.)

These pretty little things saved me so much work.  I thought I was going to have to clean and paint the ugly leaf ones.  But these ones fit great and I think they're perfect.

So, it's almost done, and all of my clothes will be put away and organized very, very soon (I can't tell you how excited I am).  There's just one little thing.  See those two top drawers?  They have spots for single pole pulls and I just happen to have a basket full of awesome ones.  So awesome, in fact, that I can't decide which ones to use.  So take a look at everything and vote.  I'll let you know next week which ones win and show you how it all looks together.


My walls are this colour:
(Fiji A525 Benjamin Moore Aura Paint)

My bedding and furniture are white but the curtains and other accents are this colour:
Also, most of the metals in the room are gold (I know, very old school, but I love gold and pink together.)


Which pulls do you like?  I can't find a poll widget that will work for me so just leave a comment below~


Pink Butterfly

Clear Butterfly





Pink Knob

Floral Orb










Floral Shell Bunch
Green Antique













Thanks for your help everyone!  Have a great looooooooooooooong weekend if you're in Canada.  Don't forget to leave a comment below~

Check out the linky party tab for more great ideas.

17 comments:

claudia b said...

I like the pink knob, second down on the left.

The Mommy Therapy said...

I second the pink knob vote. That's what I immediately was drawn toward.

How fun to find such a deal on a dresser, and think about how nice it is going to be for you to have it all fixed up again!

Looks like a lot of work, but so far it's fabulous!

Visiting from Amanda's Weekend Bloggy Reading Link Up!

Lisa said...

I agree, pink knob!

Krista said...

fourth for pink knob!

Amanda said...

Has to be the pink knob! Looks great!

Whit said...

The pink knob is my very favorite. I am visiting from the the shabby nest linky party. Come and say hi I love visitors and I am doing a really fun giveaway next week so come back and check it out.

A Mommy's Life....with a touch of Yellow
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

Pink knob, definitely!

WobiSobi said...

Oh my Goodness Tamara, How awesome!!!! it looks amazing..

WobiSobi said...

Use all the knobs, they are all awesome!!

Miss Charming said...

I love the shape of the pink knobs. They would look great on your dresser.

Kristen said...

I'm loving the pink knob!!! They would look awesome with the crisp new paint job and the touches of pink.

Kristen
Turning a House into a Home

AmberBecht said...

The pink knob!

radhika said...

I love the pink knob!

Shelly said...

Wow! You sure did find some wonderful treasures. I vote for the pink knob, because it so perfectly matches everything. But I'm thinking it would be easy and fun to change the knobs out later and use the floral shell ones for awhile, because they would look great too. :)

~Beth D. said...

pink, yes! but I love the butterfly! it's subtle and sweet.

Donna said...

What a great dresser transformation! I am in love with the pink knobs!!

Carolyn said...

The dresser looks so good. Just goes to show, keep searching for the right piece of furniture, and you can transform it into something beautiful. Well done.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...