I recently bought this cute Tee on the clearance rack at Winner's and decided to use it as my inspiration:
Here are the supplies that I used:
1) Measure your cushion and add a half inch to all of your measurements. Cut out two pieces of fabric the same size.
2) Create a template for the design you want to put on the front of your cushion. I traced an outline of the butterfly from my top for my basic shape:
|Check out how I made that cute pencil here .|
4) I started with the outline image and hand sewed a single row of sequins on. I used invisible thread so that the stitches wouldn't be very noticeable. It's almost like a fishing line or beading thread.
If you have pets, this is a good time to let them outside. The sparkle of sequins and the flash of invisible thread flying through the air might be too much temptation to bear for some of them:
Here's the outline of my shape:
5) Next I filled in the shape with more sequins. I used different shapes and colours to add more texture and interest.
I didn't try to copy the t-shirt butterfly. It would've been too labour intensive. Although this is a pretty easy project, it can become very time consuming.
6) Once you have your shape all filled in you just need to put your cushion together. Simply place your fabric right sides together and pin on three sides, leaving one edge open to pop your cushion form in. Sew together with a half inch seam allowance.
7) After it's sewn you can finish your edges with a zigzag or serger if you like. Cut diagonally across all four corners so that they poke out when you turn it all right side out.
8) Turn your cover right side out and insert cushion form:
9) Pin your last unfinished edge and slip stitch or ladder stitch the opening closed.
And Tah Blingity Dah, you have a pretty cushion!
Try different variations. If you want to try a simple version just do straight lines and then you can zig zag it all on with a sewing machine. Or create bubbles of different colours. Check out the sequin shelf at your local fabric store and go for it!
I'll be posting at all the new linky parties on the linky tab so be sure to check them out for more fun ideas.
Leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts. What kind of shape will you use on your cushion?