Friday, November 19, 2010

Spool Knitting

All right!  By now everyone should've eaten all of their ice-cream and have their Spool Knitters ready to go.  Let's get started!

All you need for this project is your spool knitter and a ball of soft, fluffy wool.
This week I'll show you all the steps through three videos.  I'll post a summarized version below step by step for those of you who aren't able to watch the videos, but it will probably make more sense in real time:


Setting Up:


Tips:


Casting off:



Summary Steps to make a flat scarf:

1) Choose one section as your starting point (it doesn't matter where).  Weave your wool in and out of each section, stopping when you get to the last section.  Loop around last section and wind back to the beginning, making sure each section now has one line of wool in front and one in back.












 2) Now you should be back at your first section, loop wool around.  It should be sitting in front of the second section.  There are now two lines of wool in front of section two.  Gently pull the piece that's on the bottom over top of the top line of wool, and over the section, placing it behind the section.


 











 3) Now you're spool knitting!  You just keep repeating this step on each alternating section.  When you get to the end wind around and continue, never knitting on top of the same section twice.  (sorry, the rest of the shots are going to look a little funny because they're screen grabs from the video.  I got so into knitting that I forgot to take photos!)











4) Eventually it starts coming out the bottom of your knitter.  Don't worry that it's stretched out at the top, it naturally tightens up.

5) When you get near the end of your wool you'll need to cast off.  First make sure you have enough wool left to run around the knitter once.  Don't cut anything, just wrap it around to make sure you have enough.



6) Now that you know you do (if you don't, just unloop one row of stitching), you will simply loop the wool under each section.  Don't miss any sections this time.  This will secure it so that it won't unravel when you take it off the knitter.  Once you get to the last section you can gently take the scarf off of the knitter.  Pull the tail to tighten up the end and make it the same width as the rest of the scarf.  You can stretch and pull the scarf a little to even it all out.














7) Just weave any tail that's left over into the scarf and secure with a knot.  Voila!  You're done!  And probably in record time!


Some tips:
-Control your tension by gently tugging on the wool in front of the section that you just looped over.
-It doesn't matter how many sections you have, it will always work.
-If you have arthritis or other aches in your hands, try using a crochet hook to do the looping for you.

I really hope that you're able to watch the videos because it's so much easier to follow that way.  In any case, have fun with this, try different types of wool, or different sizes and shapes of spool knitters.  Add a fringe on each end for something extra.  (Just cut pieces of wool approximately 8"long, group into three's, fold in half, and loop into each hole that runs along the ends.)


Leave a comment and let me know how you get on with it (no goofy jokes aboot my Canadian accent, eh~).  These make lovely Christmas gifts that are fast and easy to make but still have a very personal touch.  If you want to learn more stitches or how to make other projects with your spool knitter make sure to let me know and I'll do other video posts throughout the winter.

Happy knitting!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway!  Just sign up as a follower and leave a comment on the Desk Set: The Rest of the Story post, link is in the sidebar.
(There are only 14 comments so far so your chances of winning are really good!)

Thanks to Between Naps on the Porch for sending so many visitors my way this week.  Go visit Susan and check out the other fun ideas and projects there.

I'll be posting this project at the linky parties throughout the week so make sure to check out the tab at the top of the page, including TCB .

23 comments:

Amanda Lee said...

This tutorial was fantastic! This is one of the best video tutorials I have seen!

Teri said...

I'm going to get my yarn tonight or tomorrow, Tamara! I can't wait to try this out! :)

Teri said...

Ok, Tamara...so now I watched the videos, and seriously? I am so freaking excited to get started! I have to get my yarn tonight now...and a good movie so I can work on this! I love a craft that I can do in front of the TV and that keeps my hands busy but requires little attention. Thanks so very much for this tutorial! I am definitely interested in making other things with the spool-knitter, as well, so if you have time to do some more tutorials, I would love to see them! I will post whatever I make on my blog and will link back to you and let you know I've done so. :) Also, you are so sweet to make scarves for the homeless. I live in northern Alberta, and we have a surprisingly large homeless population here. One thing that I always struggle with when it comes to crafts like these is what to do with all the "Stuff" I've made - but this is the perfect solution. Thank you for the inspiration to craft AND to help others! :)

Etcetorize said...

Teri, thank you so much for your comments. You've really made my night. I can't wait to what you make!

Beth said...

What a fantastic tutorial and fun project!!!

chris said...

Hooray! Thanks for sharing a great tutorial. This will help keep my kids busy during the upcoming break from school.

Teri said...

:) Hi, Tamara! I just posted a little video of my scarf-in-progress...you can find it here: http://pursuitofscrappyness.blogspot.com/2010/11/little-video-of-me-scarfing.html

Etcetorize said...

That's awesome! You guys have to go check out Teri's video and see her first scarf, it looks great already~

Lindy said...

I remember spool knitting! This is a great updated version and with great tutorials!

Elizabeth said...

Wow! That is awesome! I've gotta try this. And I have an ice cream tub sitting in my cabinet right now. lol. Awesome Tutorial

Annie said...

Your tutorials are great! I have a set of Knifty Knitter round looms, but the only thing I've made is a hat. After seeing your tutorials I feel like I can make a scarf without any problems. Thanks!

{ erin } said...

Thank you!! I am going to do this over Thanksgiving while sitting at my in-laws house. :)

I would LOVE to see more tutorials. I know nothing about knitting so this is fantastic. I am now a follower and will add a link to your blog from mine so I can come back often. :)

Erin - Wichita, KS

Gen said...

My Goodness! I pulled it off! You got me thru 4 days laying in bed with a cold! ... event too sick to scrapbook... I never thought that was even possible. THANK YOU T. I used regular wool (not your fluffy kind) so I got a really skinny scarf. BUT, it is really, really long so I attached both ends together and now I can wrap it many many times around my neck. It is gorgeous! I even attached an old brooch I had and never found use for! it even matches! thanks again. Awesome teacher.

Fowl Single File said...

Wow! That's really neat. I love the colors you chose and you're right about gift-giving. These would be a perfect, thoughful Christmas gift!

Gen said...

Well friend, I think you'll be proud! I'm on my 3rd scarf already! Thanks again for showing us these simple and fun crafts! .. and just in time for the holidays of course. Cheers,

AllieMakes! said...

That is great! I have never used one of those, but the kids do! I might have to give this a try if it is as easy as you make it!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

It's A Priceless Life said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial!! It looks so easy and sooo great!! This is on my to-do list! Thank you again for taking the time to video the steps!
Shantel @
www.itsapricelesslife.blogspot.com

Screaming Sardine said...

This is awesome!! Thanks so much for this tutorial. The videos made perfect sense. I just learned knitting, and I sometimes miss a stitch (or whatever it's called), and then I have a big ugly hole. This is a no fail method. Yay!

You mentioned on the video about teaching how to pearl stitch the spool knit way. Did you do that tutorial? If so, purty please tell me where it is.

Pinned this on pinterest.

Cheers,
Tracy Screaming Sardine

Little City Farm said...

I finally got around to trying this and just made a scarf that I love. I used a smaller container (Cool Whip, lol) so my scarf isn't as wide as yours. I made it really long though so it can be doubled up and I love it. It took me longer than 1-1/2 hours as a newbie, but it still was really easy. You can bet this won't be my last. I guess I have to break down and eat some ice cream or something in a bigger tub though. :) Thanks again for the great tutorial.

Anonymous said...

yes I would love to see more and differant ways to make many things, this was a great video and Thank you very much for sharing . Thanks Robin from Harriman Tenn.

Eszti said...

Great tutorial! After watching the videos I really hope I'll be crafty enough to make them - if I succeed, everyone will get scarves this Christmas! :)

pete said...

Wooo hooo I am going to use your tutorial to make a hammock ! I was going to use my big knitting needles but a big 55 gallon trash can, a lot of cotton rope and some luck I should have it done by summer.Thank You sooo much!!

Unknown said...

this is so awesome, can't wait to try it. you did an excellent job explaining the whole process! Thank you!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...