Friday, November 12, 2010

Spool Knitter

The sound of metal knitting needles swooshing and clicking together as if they're in a race instantly takes me back to the my childhood, sitting in my Grandma's living room watching TV, while she chatted away with the other adults, never skipping a stitch.

She tried to teach me how to knit, probably several times.  Unfortunately, it was a skill that I never really acquired.  Somehow about halfway through a simple square I find my tension is always so tight that I have to pry the wool off of the needle and each row seems to end up with a different number of stitches, even when they aren't supposed to!

While I lived in Japan though I found the perfect solution...spool knitting!  You could get all kinds of shapes and sizes of spool knitters there.  These weren't your ordinary spool knitters.  You can make sweaters with these things if you want!  I tend to stick to scarf projects though because they're quick and easy, but the possibilities are still endless.

This tutorial will be in two parts.  This week I'll show you how to make your own spool knitter and then next week I'll show you how to use it to make some last minute Christmas gifts (or something for yourself~).

Here are the supplies you will need:

Any plastic container will do (but cleaning out an ice-cream pail is half the fun~)
Also, you don't need all of these blades, I just wasn't sure which one would work best.
Steps:

1) Your ice-cream pail should be empty (yum) and clean.  Remove any handles and turn over so that it's upside down.  Use your measuring tape and a marker to measure an equal amount across the bottom.  I found a line on the bottom of the pail and then measured approximately 1.5" down from there.

 



                       















2) Using a sharp knife, cut along this line.  You may want to use safety gloves for this step.























3) Time to measure again.  I used 3/4" as the length and width of each my sections but if you have a smaller container you can make the sections smaller.  Don't worry if some spaces or sections are not exact, it doesn't matter, just try to get it close enough to not have a great big gap somewhere in the middle.


4) Time to cut again.  Cut along each of the squares you just measured.  You should end up with something that looks a bit like a castle fortress.  Try to round off your corners just a tiny bit if you can.  You don't want your wool to catch on anything or to scratch yourself when you start knitting.


Make your own Spool Knitter, DIY Spool knitter, DIY Knitting Loom, How to make a knitting loom, how to make a spool knitter, Spool knitting, loom knitting, easy knitting, how to knit
It looks a bit messy, but that's OK, it still works.
That's it for this week.  I figured you might need a couple of days to empty your ice-cream pail and find a nice ball of wool to work with next week.  Any kind will do but I like to use something bulky and that's nice and soft.  For a regular size scarf, one ball will do.  If you want something extra wide or extra long you may want two.


Make your own Spool Knitter, DIY Spool knitter, DIY Knitting Loom, How to make a knitting loom, how to make a spool knitter, Spool knitting, loom knitting, easy knitting, how to knit

If you've already eaten all of your ice cream or are using some other type of container, try making some different sizes and space your sections differently.

Make sure to come back next Friday because that's when I'll show you how to thread your knitter and how to make a simple but beautiful scarf at lightning speed.  See you then!


Make your own Spool Knitter, DIY Spool knitter, DIY Knitting Loom, How to make a knitting loom, how to make a spool knitter, Spool knitting, loom knitting, easy knitting, how to knit

Don't forget to enter my giveaway, directions are on the side bar under the followers list.

I had so many visitors this past week!  Thank you all for stopping by.  Under the Table and Dreaming by Stephanie Lynn sent the most people my way, so drop by over there and say hi!

I'll be posting this project at the linky parties throughout the week, including Todays Creative Blog
Make sure to click on the tab above and check them all out.

Have a great week, make sure to leave a comment if you have any questions.

28 comments:

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

I am very intrigued. Can't wait to see how to use it.

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Wow!! This is pretty awesome!! I can't wait to see next week. That scarf is beautiful!
~stopping by from Tatertots & Jello :)

Samantha said...

That is so cool! Can't wait to see how you knit on it!

Amanda Lee said...

I can't wait for part two! As a knitting failure, I love this idea! I am your newest follower.

Unknown said...

So clever! I have some of the store-bought type looms that I think are like this... obviously I don't use them much... I inherited them from my husband's grandmother. :) I love that you recycled a container!

Stopping by from the Weekend Wrapup @ Tatertots and Jello. Have a wonderful weekend!

Lorene
just Lu

Teri said...

This is great! Can't wait for part 2 :)

Joselyn said...

This brings back childhood memories. I remember these made from a thread spool and nails and plastic toy ones as well. I never knew you could make big ones too. Cool idea!

Sheila said: said...

This looks like a lovely scarf I just hope it will be basic knitting as in knitting for dummies! Can't wait to try it, I'll stay tuned!

Etcetorize said...

Yes, it's very basic. Super duper basic. Anyone can do it. Hope to see you back here next week and I'll show you how!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Intriguing...I'll be back for the next post...

Unknown said...

Interesting.... I love to knit... will try to remember to come back on Friday to check it out.

It's A Priceless Life said...

Oooooo, I can't wait for next week! This looks really fun! I'm your newest follower...come check out my blog when you have a chance!
Shantel @
www.itsapricelesslife@yahoo.com

Etcetorize said...

Welcome to all of you new followers! I'm so happy you came to check out Etcetorize! Make sure to enter the giveaway if you have a chance. Instructions are in the sidebar~

A Pretty Pastime said...

I am very intrigued and also your newest follower :-)

janimal said...

Oh I am a HORRIBLE knitter. But I love knitted items. Thanks for sharing this -- ready to see the next post!

chris said...

Love this idea. I had a similar thing as a child, but on a much smaller scale. This is something my daughter and preschooler could do.

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

Thank you for your contribution to last week's linky party. I love these gadgets! Thank you.

A new party, at http://www.FineCraftGuild.com/diy-linky-party-21/ will be up shortly, so do
come feature your new tutorials. We love to see what you've created and be inspired again!

Till soon,
Have a craftful, happy day, Rose

Alyssa said...

I found your blog via Frugalicious Friday, and as a knitter there was no way I wasn't checking out your DIY spool knitter! I love it. Very cool.

Etcetorize said...

Thanks for signing up Alyssa. Hope you enjoy the project!

AllieMakes! said...

VERY cool! I never would have thought to make your own knitter! Awesome!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Ooo, I am going to try this--can't wait! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa B. said...

This is so cool! I have a question. Does the size of the container determine the width of the scarf? If I use a two liter soda bottle will it work and will one skein of yarn be enough? Okay that was more than one question. lol

Etcetorize said...

Sure you could use a soda bottle, great idea! The smaller the "spool" the narrower your piece will be. You could always make two strips and then stitch them together if it's not wide enough for you.

One skein of wool will be enough. If you make skinny scarves you might even get two, depending on how long you want them.

Make sure to check back on Wednesday...I have a spool knitting surprise for everyone in the works!

Lisa B. said...

Hey thanks for answering! I'm making my knitter and will be sure to check back tomorrow.

WobiSobi said...

Oh My Word so excited about this.. Can't wait to learn..

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, this is great!! So glad I found you! (through Pinterest)

Girlfriends Are Like Shoes

The LadyBugs Garden said...

I have my Spool made..
Stephanie

L.A.C.E. said...

This is awesome sauce! My friend said her mom was teaching her kids spool knitting. I'm like, "What's that?". I googled it and found out I know what it is, but had no clue that you can make your own in larger sizes! Thank you for posting and thanks to Google images so I could find this lol. I am starting a new business and my daughter is always up in my grill in my thread and material. Now she can create with something just her size. Okay, off to make my spool :D

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...