Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Show and Tell: Draft Catcher

For those of you who have been hanging out here since the beginning of Etcetorize, you'll remember from my Super Hot, Super Easy Ironing Board Cover post that I mentioned that I live in an old house.  I don't think I mentioned that it's 98 years old though.  It's beautiful and I love every nook and cranny....except for the basement.  It's unfinished.  And you know what that means...it's cold.  brrrrrrrr!

Also, because it's old, not every door shuts tightly.  And now that the snow is starting to swirl outside I can really feel all that cold air trying to make it's way through the basement door, into the rest of the house.

So, I picked up this cute vintage draft catcher pattern at a second hand store and thought it would be perfect to put in front of my basement door.  I can't find a date on the envelope but I'm sure it must be from the 70's.  It just has the look and feel to me.  (By the way, did you know that you can order archived Kwik Sew patterns from the 70's on their website????  So cool)


I fell in love with the elephant in the top photo and am super happy with the way he turned out!

DIY Draft Catcher, creative draft catcher, easy sewing, vintage Kwik Sew pattern, Kwik Sew

The only thing I would warn you about if you tackle a similar project is to stay away from the foam chips.  If you ever have to stuff anything and you can use something else...DO IT!  I will avoid using them again at all costs.  They are the messiest and most annoying thing ever.  They must be made up of at least 90% static cling.  They were from one end of my house to the other until I rolled out the Dyson~


Hopefully this little guy will help keep the cold air downstairs.  What do you think?  Do you have other creative and attractive ways of keeping those cold fall and winter winds at bay?  Don't be shy, leave a comment and share your ideas!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway.  You'll find directions on the side bar.

I usually only share my weekend tutorials in all the linky parties throughout the week, but I like this project so much I think I'll share it too.  You can check out the linky parties by clicking the tab at the top of the page.

12 comments:

Mindy said...

What a cute idea! He's so adorable!

Thanks for sharing it. I found you through Blue Cricket Design.

How long have you been getting snow in SK?

http://im-in-the-loop.blogspot.com/

Etcetorize said...

It's been snowing off and on for a few weeks. Most of it has melted...but it's still snow...and more will come. That's life in the Prairies in Canada~

Thanks for stopping in and becoming a follower!

Tamara

KimMalk said...

How cute. I really like the fabric you used - ha, 90% static - I haven't used that stuff in ages.

Steph said...

I really need to make one of these! Really cute. Thanks for sharing!

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

Great reminder - I need to make one of these ASAP. Turned out great!

AllieMakes! said...

This is totally awesome! I am SO making these! Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Laura said...

What a great idea! I love the fabric.

Thanks for linking up. And don't forget to enter my along for the ride: designs giveaway! http://bit.ly/9cz33f

K&B by the Sea said...

The elephant's trunk is the perfect draft stopper :-)

I hear ya on the foam chips - I think they're made of more like 99% static cling!

Kelly

Kitty Deschanel said...

Very cute! Personally, I'm a fan of the little worm (is it a worm??)
:)

Etcetorize said...

Yes, the worm is cute. His little bow tie makes him quite dapper. I think that elephants are supposed to bring good luck though, and with an old house, you need all the good luck you can get~

All Things Fee said...

Mine isn't as attractive, but I may have to fix that!

http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2010/11/got-drafts.html

Its a Blog Party said...

Thanks for sharing this.~Doug

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...